Weekly Market Update 2/2/2022
This week, as promised, we’re going to let you know how the Fed meeting went and what it all means for you. Then, we’ll take a look at some in-demand skills you can learn online.
To probably no one’s surprise, when the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) met, they said that interest rates will go up in March. While this might make some people unhappy, the Fed is doing this to get inflation under control. Inflation is currently at its highest in 40 years , in large part because of pandemic-related supply chain issues. This chart, from October of last year, looks at the last 50 years of inflation and interest rates. Keep in mind, too, that this might not be the last of the interest rate hikes this year.
At this point, if you’ve been contemplating refinancing your home, you may want to wait. It’s also worth noting that borrowing for businesses will get more expensive. So if you’re not sure what the best moves are for you at this moment, you know what to do–get in touch! We can take a look at your situation, what you’re hoping to achieve financially, and make a plan.
If you or a loved one is looking for some new ways to earn a living or just stay in the know, we thought we would share some great skills you can learn online–even if only for fun:
- Coding. This is helpful in almost any job at this point. The ability to code can make you a valuable team member, whether you’re looking to launch an app, build a website, and solve any number of problems.
- Languages. The more languages you speak, the more marketable you are (and the more fun you’ll have traveling the world!). There are lots of free and paid apps out there to help you, as well as online classes and tutors.
- Photoshop. It’s harder than it seems, and while it does take an investment in the software and a quality monitor to really master it, if you’re of an artistic persuasion, knowing how to do quality Photoshop work can land you a number of great gigs. Plus, it’s a lot of fun! YouTube is full of videos that will help you learn the ins and outs.
- Podcasting. Just about anyone can host a podcast now, but what employers from retail to higher ed to publishing want are people who can produce them. This means you’ve got to be good at sound editing and have an ear for what works. Online courses abound, from those meant for beginners to people who want to fine tune their skills.
- Search Engine Optimization. It’s more than knowing keywords–SEO specialists are in demand at marketing firms everywhere because it’s complicated. But you can learn it if you put in the time and find an online course that works for you.
That’s it for us this week! Have a terrific start to your February and we’ll be back in your inboxes next week.
How We Help:
We recently had a call with a client who is looking to update his real estate portfolio. He sold a property and was looking for something new. We were able to connect him with bankers and property managers. Part of managing real estate is having someone take a look at the economic environment, the changes in neighborhoods and regulatory factors, and also your own debt equity and properties. We love helping our clients expand their portfolios in advantageous ways!
Advisory Services offered through Obsidian Personal Planning Solutions, LLC. Securities are offered through Triad Advisors, member FINRA/SIPC. Obsidian Personal Planning Solutions, LLC, and Obsidian Personal Planning Solutions, Inc, are not affiliated with Triad Advisors.